When are you most productive? What do you do to stay productive? Or, do you have a kind of mantra you tell yourself every day so you won’t lose momentum?
I love quotes. They remind me to stay on track when I start to veer off my original goal or when I’m in a slump. They can be very handy when you find yourself in these situations. I would love to share five quotes that can inspire you to be more productive and yield the expected results.
1. “If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you will never get it done.” – Bruce Lee
Who’s guilty? We may be too shy to admit it, but indeed, we often get stuck overthinking. You know, the analysis-paralysis? Yes, you should carve out some time to write down the things you need to do, the steps you need to take to reach your goals, but you shouldn’t stop there. Reduce the amount of time thinking. Just like what Nike said, “Just Do It.” Unless you take that first action, nothing happens. No result. No output. No outcome.
2. “The big secret in life is that there’s no big secret. Whatever your goal, you can get there if you’re willing to work.” – Oprah Winfrey
I’d like to emphasize the phrase “willing to work.” That’s the question. Are you willing to work, to put in effort and time to achieve your goals? For instance, if you want to be fluent in a foreign language, can you give up your screen time and use that time instead for study and practice?
3. “You can do anything, but not everything.” – David Allen
Are you a superman or a superhero? Even superheroes cannot do everything. So don’t even try to do all that. If you do, you will end up disappointed. You will burn yourself out trying to unleash your superpowers, which you don’t actually have. To spare yourself the unnecessary disappointment and see visible results, choose a few things you can do. It can be anything – from cooking to painting to skateboarding. Then, identify the practical steps you need to take to reach your goals. One at a time, please.
4. “Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven’t found it yet, keep looking. Don’t settle. As with all matters of the heart, you’ll know when you find it.” – Steve Jobs
You have heard it countless times: Do what you love and love what you do. Love is powerful. With love, whatever seems to be difficult becomes easy. When you love what you’re doing, you enjoy doing it. You lose track of time because you are so absorbed in it. Moreover, you go the extra mile to do more, to be more productive. You think of ways to better your work or what else you can bring to the table.
5. “People often say that motivation doesn’t last long. Well, neither does bathing – that’s why we recommend it daily.” – Zig Ziglar
You are at your most productive when you are motivated. Motivation spurs you to stay focused on the task at hand, to give your best, and to do more despite all odds. What inspires you so you can stay productive? Think about your goals, the people who support you and cheer you on, and above all, your purpose in life. When you think of all these things, you strive hard to produce results.
How about you? Do you have any favorite productivity quotes? Please do share.